translate

Thursday, November 26, 2009

"The Thanksgiving feeling"

I've always wanted to write an article on Thanksgiving. It's one of those holidays I've always held dear to my heart, yet, it's hard to understand why?

As a child, i remember gathering with my family at my aunt's house to celebrate every year. (there must have been at least 30 of us). The kids would play outside, while the women cooked in the kitchen and the men watched football. We would talk, laugh, and eat. I would always try to eat more than I could. (Example: Turkey, Stuffing, Mashed potatoes, salad, dinner rolls, crackers, cheese, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, fruit, pumpkin pie, ect.) Then, half of the family would pass out and take a nap while the others talked. It's the same way in my family today. I like Thanksgiving, its one of the only times I get to see my whole family every year, plus Thanksgiving dinner is always a treat. I do not stand by the religous message Thanksgiving invokes, nor do I agree with the political role it plays within our nation, but the holiday in itself is a joyous occasion. Now a days, I use Thanksgiving as personal time to express gratitude and be thankful to others. So this Thanksgiving, don't think about the politics, take a minute to talk to your aunt, watch the game with your nephew, give your mom a hug, and play with the grandkids. Enjoy Thanksgiving dinner and get some rest, because it's back to business as usual in the morning! (Oh, and politics too!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Autos Cars New Designs - Premium Blogger Themes Powered by Blogger | DSW printable coupons